Contra Costa County Library, in partnership with the California State Library and Gale, part of Cengage Learning, will be offering adults the opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma and career certificate online through Career Online High School.
The library’s pilot program will provide a limited number of scholarships to qualified adult learners.
|GET STARTED||HOW IT WORKS|
- Be 19 years or older
- Live in Contra Costa County
- Have a Contra Costa County Library card in good standing
- Be comfortable reading, writing and speaking English
- Have basic computer and Internet skills
- Have access to a desktop computer or laptop
- Have a working email address
- Have completed at least the 8th grade
- Be willing to spend 8-10 hours a week on coursework
Program Quick Facts:
- The program consists of 18 credits total (see Graduation Requirements).
- You earn both your high school diploma and a certificate in your chosen career area.
- Courses are taught in an online learning environment available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The program is self-paced but plan to devote at least 8-10 hours each week to coursework; each credit is designed to be completed over the course of one month.
- It may be possible for you to transfer credits from previously completed accredited high school courses, shortening the completion time to as few as 5 months. You will be given up to 18 months to complete the program.
- Each student is assigned an academic coach who offers ongoing support and connects you with additional instructional help when needed. The coaches are available via phone or email.
HOW IT WORKS
- Learn About the Program
- Complete the online Self-Assessment
- Enroll in and Complete a Prerequisite Course
- Complete a Personal Interview
- Scholarship Award Process
- Complete Coursework within 18 months
- Begin by taking the online Self-Assessment to see if Career Online high School is a good match for you. Read the Frequently Asked Questions about Career Online High School.
- The Contra Costa County Library will contact all applicants within two weeks. Qualified applicants will be given instructions on how to enroll in a prerequisite career course.
After you enroll, you must complete the prerequisite career course within 2 weeks.
- Once you successfully complete the prerequisite career course, we will contact you to schedule an interview at the library. Interviews and scholarships will be offered on a first-come, first-qualified basis. Scholarships are limited.
COHS not right for you? Check out your other options at this library site.