- Mon: 10 - 8
- Tue: 10 - 8
- Wed: 10 - 8
- Thu: 10 - 8
- Fri: 10 - 6
- Sat: 10 - 6
- Sun: Closed
- Library Closed Dates
- 120 spaces in the Library’s underground garage and 20 surface lot spaces are available for visits of four hours or less. Spaces are metered from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm., seven days a week. Parking is free after 8 p.m. Pay right at your space via the parking app, your credit card, or with coins.
- Ten 30-minute parking spaces on the surface lot are free from 10:00 am to 8:00 pm. These spaces are clearly marked with signs.
- Parking is free at any metered space for vehicles with disabled license plates or placards.
- For visits longer than four hours, park at the Broadway Garage at 1390 N. Broadway, one block south of the library; the first hour in the Broadway Garage is free, for subsequent hours, the charge is 50 cents per hour.
- For more information about parking in downtown Walnut Creek, please click here.
About the Walnut Creek Library (Self-Guided Tour)
The Walnut Creek Library is located near Civic Park in downtown Walnut Creek at the corner of N. Broadway and Lincoln Avenue, within easy walking distance of the Walnut Creek BART Station, the Lesher Regional Center for the Arts, and the downtown shopping and dining district.
The new facility, which opened in July 2010, has a large children’s wing and garden, a Teen Zone, a Business and Career Center, a Technology Center, a 16-seat Las Trampas conference room, and four group study rooms that can be resevered same day in person only by visiting the help desk on the second floor. Group study rooms may be reserved for a maximum of two hours. For more infomration on study rooms, click here. The Oak View meeting room, which seats 150 can be rented at walnut-creek.org/rentals.
Special collections include a Russian language collection, and an expanded health and wellness collection funded by John Muir Health. Gently used books and an assortment of Walnut Creek and library-themed gifts are available for sale in the Friends of the Library bookstore. There are 39 pieces of public art, including Christian Moeller’s Portrait in 12 Volumes of Grey, and docent-guided tours of the art may be booked at (925) 294-1423. Local artists may apply to display their work at the Community Art Gallery at bedfordgallery.org/exhibitions/cag.shtml.
The library project, which included a 150-space parking lot and underground garage, and improvements to Civic Park, was funded through a public-private partnership with $34M from City of Walnut Creek library and parking capital improvement funds, and over $5M of private funds, raised by the Walnut Creek Library Foundation. The 42,000 square-foot building was designed by Group 4 Architecture Research + Planning, and built by West Bay Builders and Gilbane Building Company, and includes 600 visitor seats and 94 public computers. The building is a model of sustainable design with a raised flooring system to provide efficient heating and cooling, and data and electrical flexibility.