Career Online High School
Contra Costa County Library, in partnership with the California State Library and Smart Horizons Career Online Education, will be offering adults the opportunity to earn an accredited high school diploma and career certificate online through Career Online High School.
Career Online High School (COHS) is an accredited online high school diploma and career certification program available through the Contra Costa County Library. The library offers scholarships (free enrollment) to a limited number of qualified, motivated students.
This program will provide scholarships to a limited number of qualified adult learners.
- Be 18 years or older
- Live in Contra Costa County
- Have a Contra Costa County Library card in good standing
- Be comfortable reading, writing and speaking English
- Have basic computer and internet skills
- Have access to a desktop computer, laptop, or tablet
- Have a working email address
- Have completed at least the 8th grade
- Be willing to spend 8-10 hours a week on coursework
Program Quick Facts
- The program consists of 18 credits total (see Graduation Requirements for breakdown). You earn both your high school diploma and a certificate in your chosen career path.
- You create a career portfolio containing important job documents such as your resume and cover letters.
- It may be possible for you to transfer credits from previously completed accredited high school courses, shortening your completion time. The average time to complete is 12 months. You will be given up to 18 months to complete the program.
- Courses are taught in an online learning environment available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- The program is self-directed but plan to devote at least 8-10 hours each week to coursework; each credit is designed to be completed over the course of one month.
- Each student is assigned an academic coach who offers ongoing support and connects you with additional instructional help when needed.
- For more information, please visit the FAQ page, opens a new window on the State Library website.
- Begin by taking the online Self-Assessment, opens a new window to see if Career Online High School is a good match for you. Read the Frequently Asked Questions about Career Online High School.
- The Contra Costa County Library will contact all applicants within two weeks via email. Qualified applicants will be given instructions on how to enroll in a prerequisite career course. After you enroll, you must complete the prerequisite career course within 2 weeks.
- Once you successfully complete the prerequisite career course, we will contact you via email to schedule an interview with the library. Interviews and scholarships will be offered on a first-come, first-qualified basis. Scholarships are limited.
COHS not right for you? Check out Project Second Chance, opens a new window, the library's adult literacy program.