Important Information about your Library Card and Account
Your full-access library card is free and allows you to borrow materials from all 26 community libraries of the Contra Costa County Library. In addition, a full-access library card provides access to online resources, free and discounted museum passes, internet access, and more. Applicants must be present to receive a library card. Your Library card is valid for 3 years from the date of issue. Expired cards can be renewed for free in person at any Community Library upon presentation of valid picture ID and proof of current address.
The following picture ID and address verification will be accepted when applying for or renewing a library card:
- Current California driver’s license or California ID card (temporary driver’s license is not acceptable)
OR any combination of two from this list, including the following:
- Any government-issued picture ID (military ID, green card, etc.)
- Student ID card
- Recent student report card
- A credible ID issued by a reputable business or organization
- Imprinted bank check (personal check or payroll check made payable to customer)
- A piece of first class mail postmarked within the past 30 days
- Voter registration card
- Utility bill (print or electronic)
- Automobile registration
- A letter from a Social Service Provider stating that the individual receives mail at the provider’s address
If no verification for a permanent address can be shown, an Address Verification Postcard can be sent to the patron’s residence. The postcard can then be returned to the library in person and presented along with photo ID to receive a library card.
You need only one library card.
- The loan period for books, books on CD, DVDs, kits, magazines, music CDs, and CD-ROMs is 3 weeks.
- LINK+ loan periods are determined by the lending libraries.
Loan periods may only be extended through routine renewals.
- Books, Books on CD, DVDs/Movies, Music CDs, CD-ROMs, and Kits & Things, will be allowed 2 renewals.
- Magazines, Lucky Day Items, Park Passes, Book Club Kit materials, Stories-to-Go Danville Kits, and materials checked out to an Institution Account or Access Account may not be renewed.
Materials cannot be renewed if:
- The library card account is expired, and has not yet been renewed
- The item has been renewed as many times as allowed
- The item is needed to fill a request for another patron
- The account has unpaid fees totaling $10.00 or more
- The account is blocked because of a lost item
LINK+ items may be renewed no sooner than 3 days before the item is due and no later than 2 days after the due date. LINK+ items cannot be renewed if the item is needed to fill a pending request for a patron at the owning institution. Renewal requests must be processed through your LINK+ account, and are subject to the borrowing policies of the LINK+ member libraries.
It is the policy of the Contra Costa County Library to charge for lost and damaged library materials to encourage their timely return, thereby making returned material available to others.
Borrowing privileges are suspended if:
- The account has charges or fees of $10.00 or more, including charges for lost items
- The account has been referred to a materials recovery/billing agency and has not been paid in full.
Materials must be returned by the date due.
A bill for lost items is sent when materials are 30 days overdue. The account will be blocked.
Materials can be returned to any of the 26 community libraries of Contra Costa County Library. Materials returned to a library other than a Contra Costa County Library, will not be cleared from your account until they have arrived back at Contra Costa County Library.
Notices will be sent regarding lost items. Fees and charges are listed on your online borrower account at ccclib.org, calling 1-800-984-4636, or inquiries can be made by calling or visiting your local community library.
SCHEDULE OF FINES & CHARGES - EFFECTIVE March 1, 2022
|TYPE OF MATERIAL||LOST AND DAMAGED CHARGE||PROCESSING CHARGE*|
|All Books, CDs, and DVDs||Item price or $25.00||$10.00|
|Link+ Interlibrary Loan Items||Determined by lending library, not to exceed $115.00, including processing fee||--|
*Processing fees for lost items are non-refundable if the item is later found and returned.
|Missing portions of sets & kits, including cases||$8.00|
|Print / Copy Smart Card - Initial Purchase||$0 .50 per card|
|Black & White Copies||$0.15 per page|
|Black & White Prints
|Color Prints / Copies||$0.50 per page|
|Returned Check Fee||$15.00|
|Materials Recovery Late Fee**||$10.00 per account|
|Non-refundable Meeting Room Fee***||--|
** Materials Recovery fee assessed on an account when oldest fine/fee is 60 days past due, and the total balance due is $50.00 or more.
*** Meeting rooms at Antioch, Concord, El Sobrante, Kensington, Pinole, Pleasant Hill, and Ygnacio Valley Libraries
Contra Costa County Library has contracted with Unique Management Services (UMS) to act as our materials recovery/billing agency to recover identified overdue materials, charges, and fees. Accounts sent to UMS are assessed a $10.00 collection/service fee to cover the cost of doing business with the agency.
After 60 days past due, delinquent accounts with a balance of $50.00 or or more will be referred to UMS.
Those borrowers under 18 years of age will not be contacted directly by the materials recovery service. All correspondence will be directed to the “parent or guardian of…."
When an account is referred to UMS, a $10.00 charge is automatically posted to the account and any account referred to UMS is blocked from checking out additional materials. The account must be resolved and all items returned and/or paid in full before borrowing privileges are re-instated.
The Library will send notifications as follows:
Holds ready for pick-up:
- WHEN A REQUESTED ITEM IS AVAILABLE FOR PICK-UP: When an item is available at the requested pick up location a hold pick-up notification will be sent by email, phone, text, or U.S. mail. Items will be held for 7 days.
Due date reminder notifications:
- 2 DAYS BEFORE ITEMS ARE DUE: Courtesy due date reminder notice is sent by text or email.
Overdue notifications are sent as follows:
- 10 DAYS OVERDUE: Library sends overdue notice by e-mail, phone, or U.S. mail
- 30 DAYS OVERDUE: Overdue items are now set to Lost. Library sends a bill by U.S. mail for lost item(s). The account is blocked.
- 60 DAYS OVERDUE: Account balances of 50.00 or more are referred to a materials recovery agency, Unique Management Services (UMS, aka Unique National Collections); and a $10.00 materials recovery fee is added to the library card account to cover that cost. UMS will attempt to contact the cardholder or their parent (if cardholder is a minor), both by phone and U.S. Mail. Accounts will be blocked and remain in collections status until overdue materials are returned and/or outstanding fees and charges are paid in full, and any remaining account delinquencies are otherwise resolved. All inquiries and payments should continue to be directed to Contra Costa County Library.
You will be provided with the due date at the time materials are borrowed. You may also check your due dates and current account status online at ccclib.org, by calling 1-800-984-4636, or visiting your nearest community library. Library Notices are provided as a courtesy. Borrowers are responsible for returning materials on-time.
For more information about your library card and account, see our Frequently Asked Questions.