About Orinda Library

The Orinda Library with over 30,000 children's materials and an overall collection of over 70,000 books, recorded books, music and DVDs along with 29 public computers, WiFi, comfy chairs, pillows, reading nooks and a tutoring room is a far cry from the first library in 1924, which consisted of two shelves in the local dry-goods store. As the first town on the east side of the Oakland-Berkeley hills, Orinda became a favored home for Bay Area professionals and built its first library in 1958. The new library building, funded completely by Orinda residents, which includes an art gallery, community meeting rooms, a plaza and a cafe, was opened in October of 2001 and has proved to be a valuable addition to the city as well as the county.