Find a Job: Networking

Submitted by CCCL_DouglasT

Networking and LinkedIn, why are they so important?

In 2014 U.S. News reporter Hannah Morgan wrote that only 15% of jobs were filled via job boards.  That leaves 85% for something else: internal hires and referrals.  Two years later, a survey by Lou Adler of the Lou Adler Group recorded similar results with a ratio of 7:1 jobs landed networking—job boards.

Why is this? Jobs are filled prior to listing online. It's called the Hidden Job Market. When searching a job board, you are only accessing a fraction of what is available. With so many positions filled through networking, this is a critical skill to develop.  What does this mean?

  • Contact former coworkers and local business-people, take them for coffee. It’s a thing, with apps
  • Join business and sector associations! Go to meetings
  • Does/did your work put you in contact with other businesses? Introduce yourself, make cards

The former 800 pound, now 400 pound gorilla is LinkedIn.

Let me start by saying, I made my LinkedIn account more than 10 years ago, and I still get at least one lead a month without doing anything.

LinkedIn is a platform where you can network virtually, pulling together all your connections.  By doing this, you are placing yourself in front of everyone who is connected to your network.  Just a fraction of those who see you through trusted connections is larger than your submissions through a job board.

Remember, LinkedIn is a tool that takes some time and returns proportionally to how well you use it.  If you use it, use it to the max! Check out these articles (here and here) for tips on improving the impact of your profile and interactions. Also, here's a booklist on networking.

Finally, it helps to start networking before you have to get a new job.

We welcome your respectful and on-topic comments and questions in this limited public forum. To find out more, please see Appropriate Use When Posting Content. Community-contributed content represents the views of the user, not those of Contra Costa County Library